aI've tried many forms of pizza and although thin crust (flour based), is still my favorite, I'm open to many different variations. Making it myself has been a different challenge. I've long struggled with cauliflower crusts...I just can't seem to get it dry enough to prevent the dreaded "soggy pie".
I hopped on Fixate (a new cooking show accessible via Beachbody online streaming) the other day just to scan the latest options and saw a broccoli crust version that looked worth giving a shot. Happily, it worked beautifully! I should mention that this was NOT something my kids were up for, but it worked perfectly for my husband and me, and will serve as a great Friday night alternate to the kids' full grease, full carb loaded version that they adore!
Here is my version - I've made several variations to the original recipe. Feel free to try mine or the original, and let me know how it turns out in the comments below!
1 Bag Trader Joe's shredded broccoli (or 3 raw broccoli florets)
1/2 cup shredded, part-skim, low-moisture mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 tsp sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
1 T extra virgin olive oil (I use the spray)
1/4 cup 1/2 cup shredded, part-skim, low-moisture mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup sliced red bell pepper
Ground Sautéed Turkey Breast
* Feel free to add any additional veggies that you'd like
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper, then lightly coat with coconut or olive oil spray. Set Aside.
1. Boil water in a steamer or large saucepan over high heat.
2. Reduce heat to medium-high. Place broccoli in a steamer basket and cook 5-7 minutes, or until just tender. Transfer the broccoli to a heavy duty paper towel to cool. Once cool, press and squeeze it to remove all water. This part is important, as we don’t want that dreaded soggy crust!
3. To make the crust, combine the cooled broccoli, mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, eggs, salt and garlic in a medium mixing bowl; mix well.
4. Transfer broccoli mixture to the center of prepared baking sheet. Shape into a circle about 10-12 inches across by evenly pressing. Make sure to create a raised lip around the edge to keep the ingredients from slipping
5. Bake 15-20 minutes, or until you see the the crust has set and is lightly browned.
1. Top the crust with cheese, peppers and any other topping you would like. I used ground lean turkey meat that was simply sautéed in spices to give this a bit more protein!
2. Bake for 6-8 minutes, or until the cheese is melted. Switch to broiler setting and broil for 2 minutes or until golden brown
3. Allow to cool a few minutes before serving. Use a spatula to transfer the crust from the parchment to a cutting boar.
Cut into six slices, and enjoy!