My slow cooker is such a lifesaver this time of year. Tuesdays in particular, I seem to have very little time to get anything on the table due to various sporting events for my little ones.
That's when I usually turn to my best friend for some clean eating help in the kitchen. I'm always up for Taco Tuesday, and this time was looking for something a little different. This recipe was inspired by the blog, Gimme Some Oven, and really jumped out at me because of the sweet little addition of pineapples. I just added everything into the slow cooker in the morning, and was welcome to a delicious, fragrant dinner after a hectic afternoon of being carpooling mama!
Try this one out for a different twist on your Tuesday taco night...you won't be disappointed!
- 1 (4-5-pound) boneless pork shoulder roast, extra fat trimmed off
- 12 oz low sodium chicken broth
- 2 chipotles in adobo sauce (cans are sold in grocer store)
- 1 fresh pineapple, peeled and cored, then roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- corn tortillas, for serving
- optional toppings: crumbled goat cheese, (extra) diced fresh pineapple, chopped fresh cilantro leaves, chopped red onions, diced avocado, thinly-sliced radishes
- Add the pork to the bowl of the slow cooker.
- Add the chipotles in adobo, pineapple, red onion, chili powder, lime juice, white vinegar, salt, cumin and black pepper to a blender or food processor. Puree until the mixture is completely smooth, about 30-60 seconds.
- Stir in the stock until it is evenly combined.
- Then pour the mixture on top of the pork, and toss until the pork is evenly coated.
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours, or on high for 4-5 hours, until the pork is completely tender and shreds easily with a fork.
- Use two forks to shred the pork, then toss it in the remaining juices.
- Keep warm until serving
- Serve warm on tortillas, garnished with optional toppings. Topping can include: avocado, thinly sliced radishes, crumbled goat cheese, 0% greek yogurt