Easy Weekend Stuffed Peppers
Fall weekends for our family are quite hectic. Between soccer games, birthday parties and 'life' those two days just seem action packed. It's very easy when things get busy like this to forget about dinner or just resort to something less than healthy.
This is one of those meals that comes together fast and can be prepped ahead to just pop into the oven whenever you are ready to eat. The good news here is that it's also good for you! See below for my recipe.
Serves 6: 1/2 pepper each
- 1 lb lean ground turkey meat
- 1 garlic, minced
- 1/2 onion, minced
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 large sweet red bell peppers, washed
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- Coconut oil spray
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Directions: 1. Pre-heat oven to 400°.
2. Spray a little coconut oil spray in a medium size saute pan and heat on a medium flame.
3. Add onion, garlic and cilantro to the pan.
4. Saute about 2 minutes and add ground turkey.
5. Season with salt and garlic powder, and cumin and brown meat for several minutes, breaking it up as it cooks, until meat is completely cooked through.
6. Add 1/4 cup of tomato sauce and 1/2 cup of chicken broth, mix well and simmer on low for about 5 minutes.
7. Combine cooked rice and meat.
8. Cut the bell peppers in half lengthwise, and remove all seeds. Place in a baking dish.
9. Spoon the meat mixture into each pepper half and fill it to the top.
10. Place all stuffed pepper halves on the baking dish and pour the remainder of the chicken broth on the bottom of the pan.
11. Cover tight with aluminum foil and bake for approximately 35 minutes. Top with shredded cheddar cheese and enjoy.