It's that time of year when seemingly everyone just keeps getting sick over and over and over again. I've been slipping turmeric in wherever I can get it - usually my smoothies where I can't taste it at all! Why turmeric? It is one of the most powerful herbs on the planet, and has amazing disease fighting capabilities. It has so many benefits, that I truly am going to start having a dose every single day.
While preparing dinner the other night, I spied a recipe for turmeric hummus and knew I had to try it. Believe it or not, this was my very first time making hummus and it did NOT disappoint. I think I may need to do this more often, because it tasted amazing!
Here is the recipe, adapted a bit for my specific tastes. If you like it spicier, feel free to add more chili powder!
- 2 15 oz cans of chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup plus two tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- juice of 2 lemons
- 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- 2 heaping tablespoons of tahini
- 3 crushed garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons of ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons of ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons of ground tumeric
- 1-2 teaspoons of chili powder (I just did one but feel free to add more!)
- 2 teaspoons of paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Place all the ingredients in a high powered blender (I used Vitamix) or food processor. Add 3 tablespoons of water and blend until smooth
2. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week. *
This recipe made enough for a lot of extras, so it would also be GREAT for a party!