Easy Lunch Ideas
I love doing 'themed' bowls for lunch. It keeps me from getting too repetitive and is a fun (and easy) way to mix things up for lunch or dinner! This week on my Instagram feed I'll be doing a themed lunch bowl a day, but wanted to share the recipe for today's bowl...because it's my favorite.
I could eat Mexican every day of the week because...avocado....cheese. Right?! This bowl is super family friendly because the ingredients can be prepared in advance! It makes an perfect on the go lunch for work or something that can easily be devoured at home for lunch or dinner. This meal is also extremely versatile. While I know my kids likely wouldn't eat an entire bowl like I will, they will enjoy components. I'll give cheese to one, meat on a tortilla to another, and the whole thing to the third. Family meal....done!
Finally, the sauce you see here is an awesome avocado chipotle dressing adapted from the 22 Minute Hard corps ration guide.
- 1 pound ground beef or turkey (vegetarian fed)
- 3 T Chili Powder
- 2 T Oregano
- 1 t sea salt
- Black Beans, rinsed and drained
- Tomatoes or Peppers (I'm using peppers because tomatoes here this time of year are horrible!)
- Cooked Brown Rice
- Shredded Mexican cheese
Ingredients for Sauce (makes 10 servings, approx 2 T each):
- 1/4 cup water
- 5 T extra virgin olive oil
- 3 T fresh lemon juice
- 1 medium avocado, roughly chopped
- 1 canned chipotle chili in adobo sauce + 1t adobo sauce (more if you like it hot!)
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 t sea salt
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add beef.
- As the beef is browning, add the spices and stir together. Once the beef is browned, turn off heat and set aside.
- Prepare sauce. Place water, oil lemon juice, avocado, chili, sauce, garlic and salt into a blend or cuisinart and cover.
- Mix sauce ingredients until smooth.
- Time for Assembly. In a bowl, add a few spoonfuls of meat, black beans, tomatoes or peppers, cooked brown rice. Top with shredded cheese and sauce!
Feel free to add in any other components you would like - cilantro, avocado, greek yogurt 'sour cream'...the possibilities are endless!