Friday nights I always want something easy to prepare,and NOT fussy. Let's face it, I always am looking for meals like this but Fridays in particular, I'm just not in the mood for anything that takes longer than 10 minutes.
My go-to move before cleaning up my act was pizza every Friday and eating it with abandon. I never really enjoyed it, but just ordered because it was easy and I didn't have to do anything. Now I actually enjoy trying to find clean recipes that are easy to pull together and delicious, for my whole family.
This recipe was inspired by the wonderful website www.paleomg.com. With spring here and summer on the horizon, I thought it was the perfect night for this!
- 1 pound ground beef
- ¼ medium red onion, minced
- 1.5 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix together all of the ingredients for the burgers without overworking the meat.
- Divide meat into 3 equal portions and form into ½-inch (12-mm)-thick patties. Use your thumb to make an indentation in the center of each burger. Set aside.
- Preheat a grill to medium-high heat.
- Once grill is hot, place the burgers on the grill and close the lid. Cook 6 minutes.
- Flip the burgers and cook for 2 to 3 minutes for medium-rare, or until desired doneness. Remove the burgers from grill and let rest for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Place each of the burgers on a bed of lettuce and top with whatever floats your boat! I am partial to onions and mashed avocado. *
- Are you wondering about the bun? I don't really eat my burgers with buns anymore! There was a time when I couldn't imagine doing it, but now I really prefer it. The flavor of the meat and topping really shine through when unencumbered by that extra starch...not to mention it's better to go with less carbs!
- I'll serve this with sweet potato fries, or a bed of sautéed shredded broccoli.
Easy Friday dinner...done and done!