Confession....my son loves the banana bread from Trader Joe's, and I've been getting it for him lately because sometimes it's just hard for me to find the time for baking. More than cooking for me, it seems to always require more preparation and just....time. In the end, this is really isn't true at all. It's just a matter of finding the right recipes!
I've never really been a baker, but since discovering new, clean baking techniques, my enthusiasm for it has grown. I've found that as long as I prepare a bit in advance, these recipes actually come together quickly.
This is another winner that my whole family has enjoyed. It's a naturally sweetened twist on a classic - chocolate chip banana bread. Baking still may not come 100% naturally to me, but this particular recipe has now become part of my routine!
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 ripe, mashed bananas
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 ] cup nonfat plain greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips - I like the dairy free kind, or Ghiradelli
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease a loaf pan with coconut oil cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder,baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine mashed banana, honey, greek yogurt, olive oil, almond milk and vanilla and beat on low until smooth in consistency.
- Add in the egg and egg white and beat again until well combined, about 1 minute.
- Add the banana mixture to the flour mixture and combine until moist -- being careful not to overmix.
- Next gently fold the chocolate chips into the batter.
- Spoon all of the batter into the greased loaf pan. Bake at 325 degrees for 45-50 minutes or until a tester inserted into middle of the bread comes out clean. The length of time will vary based on which loaf pan you use, so I suggest checking the bread at 45 minutes. The crust should be golden.
- Once a tester inserted into the bread comes out clean, cool for 10 minutes in pan on wire rack, then remove from pan gently and cool completely on wire rack. Cut into 12 slices and enjoy!
Note: This can easily be sliced into separate pieces and frozen to pull out for that perfect lunchbox treat or snack to have with a steaming hot cup of tea!