Last week I had an intense craving for chocolate chip cookies, but wanted to make them a bit cleaner than the classic butter/sugar/flour version.
This recipe originally inspired by The Ambitious Kitchen was just perfect and is grain free, paleo, gluten free and dairy free. These cookies are made with coconut flour and sugar. How cool is that?
Another really interesting ingredient here are the chocolate chips. They are dairy free and tasted exactly the same to me. Not all chocolate is created equal, and it's interesting to understand that some dark chocolate does in fact contain dairy, and a lot of other additives.
My kids and husband devoured these, and I MAY have had a few myself. After all, what's life without some sweetness? See the recipe below.
Makes 20 smaller cookies. I wanted larger cookies, and got 12.
3/4 cup raw almond butter
1/2 cup coconut sugar
2 T coconut oil, melted and cooled
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/2 t baking soda
1/4 t salt
1/4 cup dairy free chocolate chips (try the Enjoy Life brand)
- Preheat over to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, or spray with coconut oil.
- In a food processor, blend almond butter, coconut sugar and coconut oil. Process until it comes together, for about 1 minute. Add in eggs and mix again.
- Add in flour, baking soda and salt. Mix again until dough forms in processor.
- Gently fold in chocolate chips.
- Use a small ice cream scoop or tablespoon to drop dough onto cookie sheet. You can flatten out the cookies a little bit or leave them puffier based on your preference.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes (yup, that fast!) or until the cookies are slightly brown around the edges. Allow them to cool for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire wrack to finish cooling.